Many people would love to get a pay rise. They will often wish that they have more money to spend and that they could buy a lot more than they normally do. However, this is something which will not happen without finding a way to get more money. One way of getting a pay rise is to try to get a promotion. However, you will find that there are advantages and disadvantages to doing this.
Advantages of Getting a Promotion
- A promotion will normally mean more pay. This means that you will be able to get the extra money that you want and/or need by doing this.
- Once you have one promotion, you may be able to then get further ones in the future and have your pay go up even more.
- You may get to work on things that are more interesting and enjoyable. You may be more challenged, which if you enjoy, will make the job a lot more fun. Even if you just do something a bit different, this can be more fun for you.
- You may get to work with a different team of people that you might get on better with.
Disadvantages of Getting a Promotion
- You may find that you will be expected to work more hours for the extra money that you are getting. This might suit you but you may not be able to work more hours if you have family commitments or you may not be able to cope with working longer hours.
- You are likely to have more responsibility which could mean more stress. Some people can cope well with responsibility and do not feel the stress or they enjoy it, so it will depend on your personality.
- You may have an increased workload. This could make the job harder for you.
- You may have to do extra training to learn the role. This may be needed to do outside of work and therefore take up leisure time. You may enjoy learning new things though.
- You may have to work with different people and find you do not get on with them so well. Alternatively, you may have to stay with you own team but now be in charge of them which could make things a bit awkward.
So, there is a lot to think about. Obviously, circumstances will be different depending on the specific promotion that you are thinking of. If you are really desperate for the money then this could be the overriding factor and you will prepared to forget about everything else and just go for it. However, it is important to check whether you will be able to cope with the pressures of the new role. Think about what impact it might have on other people around you as well. Of you get really stressed then this could not only impact those you are working with but also those you live with as well. If you have to work more hours then this could also have an impact on your family as well as you. It is important to recognise how stress can impact us negatively if we do not find a way to cope with it. It can impact our mental health and physical health and can lead to disease. Therefore, if you do think stress will be increased, then it is wise to try to think about ways that you will use to manage it so that you can be sure that you will not negatively impact your health. Having extra money may not be worth it if your health is poor. However, you may be stressed due to your financial situation and so you might decide to go for the promotion to eliminate this stress.